Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

On 27 Jan 1999, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Jan 27, 1999, Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > On 27 Jan 1999, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

[watch indenting carefully : I wrote this next bit, of course]

> > In general, it is not useful to have multiple versions of the same
> > package.
>
> You're probably talking about the single-user workstation model.  I'm
> talking about a networked multi-user model, in which some users need
> (for reasons only they understand :-) particular versions of, say, GNU
> Emacs and gcc installed.

In general, such a situation only arises because of a bug in the software.
That is why I say that, in general, it is not useful.

> > Nonetheless, you are refusing to support it.
>
> I'm not refusing to support it.  I'm just inclined to avoid having an
> easy-to-use flag to disable explicit hard-coding of library paths
> because:
>
> 1) it would be hard to make it behave correctly in a portable way (and
> libtool would be useless if it were not for being portable);

Special case-it for linux, if you will.  Libtool has plenty of special
cases as it is.

> 2) it should not be necessary if you play by libtool rules, i.e., you
> pre-declare where libraries are going to be installed and keep them
> there forever (or until they're no longer needed);

We don't want to play by libtool rules.  We don't see that as a sensible
restriction.

[more information to follow in a separate follow-up]

Jules