Re: new snapshot

[I am cross-posting this to debian-devel and to the plplot mailing lists.]

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for the announcement of this much awaited new snapshot of PLplot.
Being the maintainer of both plplot and octave-plplot packages for Debian
GNU/Linux, I would like to add some comments to your message:

    GF> I have put up a new snapshot on dino.ph.utexas.edu.  You can get it
    GF> via anonymous ftp to dino.ph.utexas.edu.  The new snapshot is
    GF> 	plplot/snapshots/plplot-990122.tar.gz

    GF> [...]

    GF> I just want to assure people that PLplot is not dead [...] In
    GF> short, PLplot is in a very real sense of the word, a healthy,
    GF> thriving tool, that is helping many researchers around the world,
    GF> do their job.  [...]

My intention in making the Debian packages for Debian was exactly to
increase the visibility of the PLplot project.  I am particularly
interested in seeing PLplot replacing GNUplot for Octave.  At any rate, it
is a very nice package for general scientific plotting.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to include your new snapshot in the
upcoming Debian release (2.1), because we are now at the deep freeze stage.
Anyway, I think that will not have enough free time in the near future
(say, until March) to generate the packages.  If any Debian developer is
interested in this work, she/he should feel free to do a non-maintainer
release of the packages.  Any modifications in the autoconf files needed
for Debian will be contributed back to the PLplot project.

Cheers, and keep up the good work,

--
Rafael Laboissiere -- Debian Developer
Institut de la Communication Parlee | Email: rafael@icp.inpg.fr