Re: Resolutions to comments on LSB-FHS-TS_SPEC_V1.0

On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 07:19:20AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> <marketing b/s boots on>
> I'll give you one solid reason, uniformity across unix platforms is a
> must have if unix, especially free unices, are going to succesfully
> dominate the market. Sun/AIX/HP-UX/OSF/SCO are not going to change,
> but we could prove our willingess and ability to ensure these uniformities.
> <marketing b/s boots off>

Mail spool location is really the least of the problems in inter-UNIX
compatibility. Why do you think autoconf-generated configure scripts
check so many things?

Application vendors probably shouldn't hardcode ANY location. On one
system I use at the university where I study, email is kept in
~/.inbox. Vendors need to make things configurable anyway to support
configurations like that.

Hamish