Re: Reality check! [was: Re: Debian goes big business?]

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Paul Seelig wrote:

> Please don't let's start *this* kind of discussion yet again.  It's
> *not* about appeasing to the masses of unskilled consumers.  It's
> about increasing ease of installation, use and maintenance.  Skilled
> people definitely benefit from such time saving aspects in their daily
> jobs.  Even professionals don't want to always have to deal with
> things which explicitly require a professional.  Excellence in design
> doesn't necessarily have to result in awkwardness.  The fact that even
> the "mass of unskilled consumers" benefit from this is a completely
> different issue.  The point is that what's good for unskilled people
> can be equally good for skilled people who no by themselves how to
> provoke trouble if they really want it. ;-)

As an experienced Debian user, I'll second these sentiments.  Since buzz
I've been waiting for the Debian installation process to become a (as it
should be)  30 minute process, hopefully with some tools included for mass
installations.  I use Debian myself exclusively but have to hesitate
before recommending it to others new to Linux because the process of
getting started is harder than it should be.

I also am disappointed with the attitude of some people towards making
these things easier to do.  Is it some kind of techno-snobbery, maybe?
Making things easier does not necessitate dumbing-down things for more
competent users.  Once up and running, a Debian system is far more
maintainable than the alternatives -- a great factor in on-going ease of
use.  Can some focus be brought to getting there with similar ease?  I've
been with Debian for over 2 years now and would be sad to have to abandon
it in the long run because of 'we don't do that' politicking instead of
pragmatism amongst developers.

-tl

please forgive my abrupt ending hre - but my conection is
xtrememleyyhiclmelyey      BAD hiccuppy etc must sign off -
EF D8 33 68 B3 E3 E9 D2  C1 3E 51 22 8A AA 7B 98