Re: Debian goes big business?

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Christian Lavoie wrote:
>DISCLAIMER: These are notes, and can have technical impossibilites
>(especially concerning '.deb'ianizing of StarOffice)
>
>- Provide single user free of charge support through internet.
>(email/newsgroups/knowledge base/whatever)
>- Provide corporate support, at a cost (cause they think it's better
>to pay it anyway), with the usual things sucha thing includes
>(on-site, 24 hours a day, programmation capable team to adapt a
>product)

Also have the corporate support subsidise any expenses that may be incurred
providing user support.

>- Work head-to-head against RedHat/Caldera/SuSE for publicity on
>Debian and promoting .deb packaging of things like
>StarOffice/WordPerfect

No!  We don't want to compete with Rad Hat, Caldera, or SuSE.  We want to
co-operate with them and share the market to put the squeeze on closed-source
companies that sell low quality software that they don't support (I'm sure you
know who I'm thinking of).

Also different users have different requirements.  If someone finds that Debian
doesn't satisfy them then we want them to go try Red Hat, we don't want them to
give up on Linux!

--
I am in London and would like to meet any Linux users here.
I plan to work in London for 3 - 6 months...