Re: doc-base control file madness

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:18:21 +0000 (GMT), Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> said:
Ben> I've recently looked into the doc-base control file format. It
Ben> seems pretty sane, except I realized since it does not provide
Ben> for any macro expansion,

Dale> Can't you use something like m4 as a pre-processor and do macro
Dale> expansion that way?

>>  That would work, but it would be nice if it were built into the
>> control file language. Many people will need this functionality in
>> the future.

> In general, it is IMHO silly to rewrite, yet again, a macro
> substitution engine into a special purpose piece of software
> (doc-base) when we already have several good, fast macro
> substituters (cpp, m4) and a framework from which they can easily be
> run (debian/rules).

Utterly agree.  To prove it, I'm going to quote my docreg file which
uses m4:

changequote([, ])dnl
define([common_elements], [Title: Debian Metadata Manual
Subject: debian/policy
  Debian Metadata Project. The Project's purpose, and the purpose of
  this document, is to outline a set of metadata elements, to specify
  an interface for package maintainers use in order to provide
  metadata about resources in their packages, to specify a unified
  subject catalog for categorizing metadata, and to specify an API for
  developers who wish to make use of a system's metadata.
Language: en
Creator: A. P. Harris <aph@debian.org>
Creator: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>