doc-base control file madness

I've recently looked into the doc-base control file format. It seems
pretty sane, except I realized since it does not provide for any
macro expansion, I will have to edit the 8 or 9 doc control files
libgtk1.1.13-doc (and 1.1.14, and 1.1.15, ad nauseum) provides
EVERY SINGLE TIME there is a new release.

Yuck.

Is there any way doc-base can provide some kind of macro expansion,
so I don't have to edit:

/usr/doc/libgtk1.1.13-doc/gtk-faq.html/

every time I have a new package, instead, doing something like

VERSION=1.1.13

/usr/doc/libgtk${VERSION}-doc/gtk-faq.html/

? This would be much nicer.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters D and W and the number 8.
"Yasashisani tsutsumaretanara, kitto.. meni utsuru.."