Re: Where does 'www-data' come from?

Edward Betts wrote:
  >On Wed, 20 Jan, 1999, Brian May wrote:
  >> Maybe the web files should be owned by "www-data" and the web
  >> process should be owned by "www" or "httpd"? This way the
  >> descriptive names continue to make sense. Practical
  >> speaking, it is probably just as good to make web files
  >> owned by root, however, then the name "www-data" won't
  >> be the owner of any data.
  >
  >Would not work, the users on my machine who are aloud to edit the web pages
  >are members of the www-data group, do you suggest I make them members of roo
      >t?
Have PostgreSQL tables accessible by the *PostgreSQL* user `nobody', and have
the web server connect to PostgreSQL as `nobody'.  (PostgreSQL users are not
(necessarily) the same as Unix logins.)

More detailed documentation for this problem is available on the bug database
for the postgresql package.

     "Neither is there salvation in any other; for there is
      none other name under heaven given among men, whereby
      we must be saved."               Acts 4:12