Re: agreeing with the DFSG (was Re: non-free --> non-dfsg)

Hi Manoj,

>  Ossama> If we all agreed on the DFSG then how would change ever
>  Ossama> occur?
>
> 	Why is it so necesary for any change to occur?

I meant if the need for change ever arose.

> 	And most of the developers I talked to were in favour of
>  clarifying the DFSG, not changing the contents.

I guess it depends on how you look at it, clarifying may mean changing the
contents or vice versa, thought not necessarily either.  I am in favor in
of clarification, too.  Perhaps my interpretation of clarification is
different.

>  Ossama> The DFSG is currently being modified due in part to
>  Ossama> disagreement, isn't it?
>
> 	Nope. An attempt s being made to reword it so that it is easy
>  to see

Thanks for the clarification! :)

>  Ossama> Difference of opinion can be a good thing.  It can fuel
>  Ossama> progress.  It can also hinder it but it but is up to us to
>  Ossama> ensure that progress is made.  We shouldn't just avoid such a
>  Ossama> situation by attempting to ensure that everyone agrees.
>
> 	Why not? I think that in this case the divisiveness far
>  outweighs any percieved ``progress'' to be made by people who
>  disagree with the spirit of the DFSG.

Ah!  I didn't say "disagree with the spirit of the DFSG."  I said disagree
with certain parts of what the DFSG dictates.  The spirit of the DFSG and
what it dicatates are not necessarily the same, at least from my point of
view.

>  Ossama> Please understand that what I am saying is that it should be
>  Ossama> alright for developers to have different opinions of the DFSG
>  Ossama> or whatever else.  However, if they want to be Debian
>  Ossama> developers then they should abide the Social Contract and the
>  Ossama> DFSG but not necessarily agree with them.
>
> 	I think that a group of people putting out a distribution that
>  holds the line on freedom of software can ill afford to have in their
>  ranks people who are second guessing the validity of holding the
>  line.

Who's second guessing?  I do not think that I am second guessing.  On the
contrary I only wish to improve only if I feel improvement is needed.  My
vision of free software may not be the same as yours or everyone elses.  I
am going to hold the line of freedom that I envision while I at the same
time abiding by the DFSG and Social Contract.  If that isn't possible then
I will gladly move on.  However, I think that it is entirely possible to
feel that way.

> 	manoj
>  holding down a hard line

Indeed you are.  That's great!  :)