Re: agreeing with the DFSG (was Re: non-free --> non-dfsg)

Hi Manoj,

> 	I was under the imprtession that that was a requirement of the
>  new maintainer process? The DFSG is critical to the core of debian,
>  it is what makes Debian what it is. And even though diversity of
>  opinion is indeed laudable, there has to be a basis for understanding
>  and cooperation, without which an effort like Debian would
>  crumble. If we all can't even agree about something as critical as
>  the social contract and the DFSG, then indeed we have a problem.

I can see why agreement is so crucial but is it realistic to think that
everyone will agree with the DFSG or the Social Contract.  Just to be
clear, what I mean by "agree with the DFSG and the social contract" is
agree with certain parts of the them.  I am not at all saying that the
DFSG and the Social Contract should be done away with.

I believe that it is very crucial, if not necessary, for developers to
agree with the spirit of both of them, not necessarily all of their
contents. of them. The contents of the DFSG and perhaps the Social
Contract are not carved in stone.  Agreement with their contents will vary
as they change.  However, the goal or spirit (not necessarily the same) of
the DFSG and Social Contract probably won't change, and it is that spirit
I agree enthusiastically with and support.   For the record, I have no
problems with the Social Contract or its contents. :)

-Ossama