Re: agreeing with the DFSG (was Re: non-free --> non-dfsg)

othman@cs.wustl.edu (Ossama Othman) wrote:

> If used properly, diversity of opinion should only help Debian.

With all due respect, if you think that there is no diversity of opinion
in Debian, then you haven't been around here for very long.

> Those with opinions that differ from the mainstream should not be
> branded "heretics" or encouraged to leave.

Now, play fair.  I was under the impression that Craig's statements were
merely a friendly suggestion and not meant to pressure anyone out of the
project.  Of course, nobody is requiring every member to surrender his
or her opinions.  However, I'm sure that you will agree, requiring our
members to understand and comply with Debian's goals, motivation, and
policy are essential if we are to accomplish anything as a group.

Besides, is it fair to label opinions that happen to agree with the
mainstream as "elitist?"  I'll admit that sometimes certain individuals
may be overly curt, but I think that this comes from having to debate
the same things over and over.  (I myself can recall twice before when
someone has suggested that we rename non-free, but of course, I could
have missed a few of these discussions.)  These things do get old after
awhile.

Brian