Unidentified subject!

<joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE>, Robert Woodcock <rcw@debian.org>
Subject: Re: Release notes for slink
BCC: hilliard@flinet.com
From: Bob Hilliard <hilliard@flinet.com>

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:

> On 15 Jan 1999, Bob Hilliard wrote:
>
> >      We still need autoup.sh and cd_autoup.sh, and will for the
> > foreseeable future, because many old systems are still in use as
> > production systems.  Less than two months ago I had an inquiry about
> > upgrading a rex system.
>
> bo APT can upgrade a rex system with no problems, I don't know about buzz.
>
> Jason

     I didn't mean to imply that apt was unable to peform the
upgrades, but rather that we must retain the capbility to make the
upgrades.

     In November, I proposed making apt the only upgrade path
included on the slink CD.  Three of the four respondents agreed with
this, but Martin Schulze said, "This is a fine alternative for systems
where apt-get works."

     I was surprised to hear that there were systems on which apt
wouldn't work, so I asked you if this was true.  You replied:

> Yes. Systems that have deliberately unconfigured or otherwise
> dysfunctional package states cannot use apt. Nobody has presented me
> with a technique for making APT safe on such systems so they remain
> unsupported. All others can use APT.

     Based on this, I decided to leave both methods in the slink
uprade instructions.  Perhaps this should be reconsidered for future
releases.

     I believe it would be reasonable to expect users to fix "systems
that have deliberately unconfigured or otherwise dysfunctional package
states" before upgrading.  If there is a consensus that it would be
reaaonable, the autoup upgrade could be abandoned for potato.

     A buzz system has version 1.3.x of dpkg, which doesn't understand
epochs.  autoup requires upgrading dpkg to 1.4 or higher.  The
autoup.sh page on the website includes dpkg_1.4.0.8.deb (or used to),
and so does the /upgrade directory on the CD.  I expect apt would be
able to upgrade a buzz system, if dpkg was upgraded first.  I don't
believe I ever tested apt-get from buzz, although I did test autoup
against buzz.  I recently destroyed my last buzz partition, so I
couldn't test apt-get on buzz now.

Bob
--
   _