Re: New DFSG Draft revision #3

Ben Collins writes:
> Just because they aren't going to sue you does not mean that you don't
> break the license. If I say, you cannot distribute my source at all, but
> that I wont enforce it, doesn't mean you are allowed to.

A license is nothing but a promise not to sue provided certain conditions
are met.  One that says "I don't want you to distribute copies of this but
I won't sue you if you do" is legally indistinguishable from one that says
"You are permitted to distribute copies of this".

> It just means there wont be any repercussions from _me_.

There can be no repercussions from anyone else.

> Licenses by law do not grant any permissions that are not explicitly
> stated.

I know of no law that says this.

> If they don't say you can do it, you can't, period.

Better pull all BSD stuff out of main, then.  And tell Sun that their
lawyers have been misleading them all these years.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)