Re: NFS Locking problem in 2.1/2.1 kernels

In article <cistron.tx5n23ommqy.fsf@netcom8.netcom.com>,
Tor Slettnes  <tor@slett.net> wrote:
>I have two Debian Linux computers, a Corel Netwinder and a AMD
>K6-based PC.
>
>My Netwinder ('net.slett.net') is, among other things, my NIS master
>and NFS home directory server.   It is running with kernel 2.0.35
>(with Corel patches for FPU emulation directly in the kernel).
>
>My PC uses 'autofs' to obtain home directories from the Netwinder.  It
>was recently upgraded from Linux 2.0.36 to 2.2.preX (I have tried all
>X'es from 2 to 6, and also 2.1.132).

If you are using a Linux 2.2 NFS client, you need to run a server that
supports the NFS locking protocol. The Linux userland NFS server
doesn't support this, only the kernel NFS daemon in 2.2 does.

You can work around this by mounting the file system on the
2.2 client (the PC) with the option "nolock".

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?