Re: Source-Depends implementation

On Tue, Jan 12, 1999 at 01:09:52PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> Do either dpkg-source or dpkg-buildpackage have some compelling need to be
> driven by these dependencies?

IMO, they should do nothing more than give a warning, but continue as if
nothing was wrong. The only reason for source depends is a 'quick check'.
for users and automated programs such as dbuild and apt. It should be left
up to the user as to the importance of these messages.

As far as alternate sources. I think the only one listed should be the one
the original packager used to compile it with. This assures compatibility
across the ports. We don't want i386 "pkgfoo" to be linked against slang
while the sparc "pkgfoo" is linked against ncurses.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org