Re: sanity check in init.d

Part of the problem is that the output may

a) be loss if there is a lot of it
b) confuse people because the boot process is already noisy
c) it is not stored anywhere so if you do not see or write down the message it
is gone anyway.

On my machine I use linux logo.  This clears the screen before showing the
login prompt.  So any daemon init messages are lost to me anyway.

A user should be able to notice that "hey foo is not running" and quickly
notice, "hey I do not have foo".  SImply running /etc/init.d/foo start should
also notice that foo fails to run.  perhaps init.d scripts could use a VERBOSE
option that will print errors if desired or ran w/ /etc/init.d/foo verbose?