Re: Source-Depends implementation

On 11 Jan 1999, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> >> "TL" == Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> TL> On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 01:31:09PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> >> Just non-standard -devs and special binary packages (ie. sgml, tetex,
> >> nasm). There is no versioning of the Source-Depends either since I
> >> didn't think it would be necessary. You may feel differently.
>
> TL> While it may not be necessary, it would be not to have it, for users
> TL> (as opposed to developers), wanting to download the latest <xyz>
> TL> source.
>
> If it is no hasle, I also like to see versions. Look at the problem we
> have because Provides: doesn't know about versions. It is better not
> to repeat this.
>
> Also gtk had some serious problems about compatibility, until every
> version got its own package. Packages with Depends: libgtk1.1 >=1.1.2
> didn't run with libgtk1.1-1.1.3 and such. Really a mess. So when
> rebuilding a package versioned sourcepackages would be great.

Please consider carefully the source-depends concept.

Any versioned dependency will (probably) have to be on a single particular
version.  And what this will really be is the version that the maintainer
compiled it with.  He's not normally going to know if it will compile with
later versions :-) In fact, some packages (Manoj's, for example) produce a
buildinfo.debian file which attempts to include this information.

So, either simply depend on the package, and assume only one will be
around, or note the particular version the maintainer used.

In general, our scheme for encapsulating the API version of a library in
the package name has made the dependency precise enough.

I have a detailed proposal in preparation which will air sometime after
the release of slink, and will propose a unified way of providing
source-depends, as well as speeding up the database queries like dpkg -S
and dpkg -l, and make some inroads towards one packages 'file' for a
network of machines.  I will post it here in a few weeks (depending when
we get slink out the door, and when I have time to finish it).

Jules