Re: Type tags for Debian packages.

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> Do note that users are not limited to individual packages as shown in dselect.
> When they install, they can choose one profile (such as "Network server" or

Yes, I know that. I was not writing about the initial install.

> A challenge for the future versions is to be able to do the same *after* the
> initial installation, so you can add or remove tasks.

That was what I have in mind. It just happens from time to time you need
some job done and you know that there is perhaps some program in the
debian tree which could help you. I usually grep /var/lib/dpkg/available
to find some related keywords, but it's not very user friendly, is it?

And this only help when you *know* what you want to install. If you would
just like to browse around to see what you *could* install, you have to
read all descriptions or, more likely, give up.

BTW, the tag types I have suggested could help you automate the generation
of those lists you make for slink. Another noticeable advantage...

Patrik