Re: Type tags for Debian packages.

>> "SB" == Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@debian.org> writes:

SB> On Monday 11 January 1999, at 12 h 9, the keyboard of Patrik Rak
SB> <patrik@raxoft.cz> wrote:

>> As more and more packages are added to Debian, I find it more and more
>> difficult for ordinary users to navigate through the list of packages they
>> would like to install.

SB> Do note that users are not limited to individual packages as shown
SB> in dselect.  When they install, they can choose one profile (such
SB> as "Network server" or "Typical home machine") or, if they have
SB> more time, a set of tasks (such as "HTML authoring" or "Sound" or
SB> "Perl programming").

This is a different thing. Patrik's suggestion was about a deeper
hierarchy of package ordering. With >2400 packages navigation and
finding the packages for a specific task got difficult.

I think his suggestion is appealing. Maybe the apt guys could say how
this fits into their plans?

Obviously, we should make a "in all sections" keyword for emacs ;-)

>> P.S. Please keep me in the CC:, I am not subscribed to this list.

Ciao,
	Martin