Re: New DFSG v1.0aj

On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 12:03:35PM -0800, Darren Benham wrote:

> There were only one objection to aj's wording of the DFSG2...
>
> (
>         refresher:
>         http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9901/msg00159.html
> )
>
> Why not move on with this?  From what I could tell (I'll keep going over it to
> be sure), there's really nothing different with the DFSG1 in substance....

(Note that I mean no insult to the author of the new DFSG draft, but I'm
going to speak my mind on this one)

I've been happily ignoring this in the hopes that it would just die and
/go away/, if nothing of substance is changed then I must ask,
/WHY/!?!?!?..

It also has a few vague areas which could be haggled over for years..

1. Use

   The license must allow anyone who has legally obtained the work to
   use it in any way.

2. Source Code

   Source code must be available.

3. Redistribution

   Anyone must be able to give copies away, sell them, or not. The
   license may not make any restrictions on who redistributes the work
   or how that work is redistributed.

In fact, this seems to outright forbid the GPL, which puts restrictions
on what you can do with it (you can't change it and sell it without
giving them the source as well), it also puts restrictions on how the
modified source may be distributed...

For added fun the author apparently does not understand the issues
which are involved, as the QPL is not final, and there has been some
argument over the question of it being completely DFSG compliant...

Basicly I'm not seeing any real gain from this change, and a lot of
possible problems...

So, could we /please/, just drop this issue, and move on to other
things?

Zephaniah E, Hull..
(Who is currently sick in bed and on medications, so may not be entirely
here..)