Re: Wish: sources cited in /usr/doc documentation

On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 10:38:52PM +1100, Martin Mitchell wrote:
> See section 6.5:
>
> 	Every package must be accompanied by a verbatim copy of its
> 	copyright and distribution license in the file
> 	/usr/doc/<package-name>/copyright. This file must
> 	neither be compressed nor be a symbolic link.
>
> 	In addition, the copyright file must say where the upstream sources
> 	(if any) were obtained, and explain briefly what modifications were
> 	made in the Debian version of the package compared to the upstream
> 	one. It must name the original authors of the package and the
> 	Debian maintainer(s) who were involved with its creation.
>
> You should report a bug against listar if it does not provide this
> information.

Does this belong in the copyright file? I think another file might be better.

Actually, I don't think this should be a requirement at all, merely a
suggestion. What if I obtain some really old software from someone else
by email and can't find a URL for it? Also, right now I have no idea where
the upstream authors for `guavac' are, so the upstream information for
that package (which may not even be present, but I think it is) is incorrect.
And I can't fix it.

Hamish