Re: Adopting dpkg-ftp
- To: Jason Gunthorpe <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: Debian Developers <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: Adopting dpkg-ftp
- From: Yann Dirson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 22:43:37 +0100 (CET)
- Message-id: <email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <Pine.LNX.3.96.990105215202.7446D-100000@wakko>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <Pine.LNX.3.96.990105215202.7446D-100000@wakko>
Jason Gunthorpe writes:
> On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Yann Dirson wrote:
> > IIRC, when I checked it mainly missed error recovery for
> > low-reliability PPP lines - dpkg-ftp offers to try to go on dowloading
> > a Packages file or a .deb when an error occurs.
> This might make a future cut with APT.. right now it aborts the troubled
> file and goes on to the next one, if you run it again it will resume the
> troubled file transparently.
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about
an FTP timeout occuring while a .deb or a Packages.gz has been partly
dowloaded. In this case, dpkg-ftp << 188.8.131.52 just stop, and I don't
recall that the versions of apt I have tried did much better.
> > Maybe it also misses some of the other features I had added to
> > dpkg-ftp for hamm - see changelog for details.
> I didn't see anything.. The v3 version has support for firewall
> configuration which should cover the last set of features.
OK. Here are the main features I'd like to see in apt-ftp before
switching to it. I would find it very nice if all of them were
- timestamp check to select which Packages.gz to get
- support for experimental-type dists (Packages.gz in ./ not in
- robustness wrt timeouts (re-parsing the DB's at start of the install
method is slow enough on my 486/33 which has not yet been upgraded to K6/2)
- minimization of the time when the PPP link has to be running (one of
the worst points in dpkg-ftp 1.5.x BTW)
- ability to differ the download of some packages selected for upgrade
Here are accessory features I had added to dpkg-ftp because others
- emulation of MDTM (for timestamp checks) because of dummy firewalls
You may also be interested in the bug reports I filed against dpkg-ftp
1.5.x for removal of some of these features that Klee probably did not
thought were really features.
Yann Dirson | Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?
<email@example.com> | Support Debian GNU/Linux:
debian-email: <firstname.lastname@example.org> | Cheaper, more Powerful, more Stable !
http://www.multimania.com/ydirson/ | Check <http://www.debian.org/>