Re: glibc 2.1 status

At 04:50 +0100 1999-01-01, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
Previously Joel Klecker wrote:
My perception was wrong, C++ doesn't break (or at least, not all of it).
Can you be a bit more specific about that? I do allmost all my
development in C++ these days and I would be very annoyed if it would
break..

I had been told by someone who tried an earlier set of packages I had made that all the C++ code dynamically linked with libstdc++ on their system broke after the upgrade. This was at odds with the glibc FAQ, which said the older libstdc++ should continue to work fine. In fact it does, it is even perfectly possible to continue development with it (at least, in my limited testing).

There is still a problem though, a glibc 2.1 system won't be able to build the old libstdc++ with the glibc 2.0 ABI (expressed as "libstdc++-libc6.0-1.so.2" by the libapi patch to egcs). If one builds egcs on a glibc 2.1 system, one gets a libstdc++ with the glibc 2.1 ABI (expressed as "libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2"[1] by the libapi patch).

[1] Incidentally, no, glibc 2.1 is not libc 6.1 (the only port using "libc.so.6.1" is alpha, and that includes glibc 2.0), it would be more correct for the libapi patch to use "glibc2.0" or "glibc2.1", but it's too late now.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                     <URL:http://web.espy.org/>
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                  <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>