Re: DFSG2: The patch exception

Hi,

   Previously Ian Jackson wrote:
   > Several people have complained that some important existing software
   > (notably TeX) has a patch requirement.

   TeX does not really prohibit patches, it only does not allow that a
   patched version is redistributed under the name TeX.

nope, you can use the name TeX for any piece of software
made by patching web sources or from ground up if it
passed TeX test suite. From the other hand, you are not
allowed to modify Knuth fonts family (CM) and redistribute them under
the same name

   This sounds
   reasonable and I see no problem in allowing this, although DFSG2
   doesn't really say this.

me too

   Wichert.

OK