Re: Intent to package BigBrother network monitor

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> The licence is very restrictive. It does not even authorize redistribution
> (you need a special clearance). I'm discussing it with the author. He will
> probably grant the clearance for the Debian project (FreeSD already has one).
> Once the distribution clearance is granted, the package will be put in
> non-free because the author does not want to accept commercial use gratis.

That's good news. I wanted to package it, took one look at the license and
gave up.

> - BigBrother typically runs under the name "bb". I intent to name the package
> that way. Is it too short or not enough descriptive for someone?

The name bb for a debian package and a binary is already taken in debian,
you'll need to find something else.

> - BigBrother produces pages for the Web server. But I cannot hard code the
> place where it puts Web files since there is no Debian standard? (Is /var/www
> for every HTTP daemon or just for Apache ?)

There is a debian standard, see the policy manual section 5.4.

> - BigBrother can be a manager (watching the network) or an agent (gathering
> information on *one* machine, to be queried by the manager later). But it is
> the same programs, there is only a difference in the configuration file. So I
> have to make one package, which depends on dnsutils (because BigBrother
> manager uses it) even if the agents do not need it.

You could also only reccommend it though people might find that confusing.

Is it really not possible to break it out into client and a server package?
I seem to remember there's one script that starts it, but the script calls
different sub-programs depending on what it's doing.

--
see shy jo