Re: Content-Length harmful

Quoting Avery Pennarun (apenwarr@worldvisions.ca):
> On Mon, Nov 30, 1998 at 01:51:21PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> > No it's not. Only if the MUA is aware of the MDA's quoting of From_
> > lines (and automatically strips them) is it transparent. This is, IMHO,
> > a horribly icky solution--I don't want _anything_ munging the content of
> > my messages.
>
> Such is the power of Debian Policy.  We simply declare that all MDA and MUA
> programs will do the Dhesi encoding in Debian, and soon it will be so.
> Well, sort of :)

Cool. So what part of debian policy covers the non-linux machines I
share the mail spool with? (I.e., dhesi isn't transparent enough a
solution for something that's already deployed.) I'm giving maildir
another shot myself, and I'm starting to think that's the better
approach: either leave mbox alone or drop it (though content-length is
a least-change approach to dealing with an already ugly solution.) If
only qpopper spoke maildir...

Mike Stone