Re: Draft new DFSG

"rjk" == rjk  <rjk@greenend.org.uk> writes:

rjk> Do you think that anyone advertizing CDs of Debian should be
rjk> required to have a page or three of acknowledgements for the
rjk> various pieces of BSD-licensed software found on the CD?

The situation isn't quite that dire -- of all the BSD-licensed
software in main, the number of different advertising clauses can be
counted on one hand.

A typical corporate press release just needs to have this at the end:

   This product includes software developed by the University of
   California, Berkeley and its contributors.  This product
   includes software developed by the Apache Group for use in the Apache
   HTTP server project (http://www.apache.org/).  Debian is a trademark
   of Software in the Public Interest.  Linux is a registered trademark
   of Linux Torvalds.  All other trademarks are the property of their
   respective owners.

And thats for all of main except ispell, which would just add another
sentence.

And thats only if you're selling something like "Debian Webserver
2000".  (See IBM's ecommerce product webpages for an example of this.)
Our own Project press releases don't feature the software in such
detail, and so never need all the above acknowledgements.

---------------------  PGP  E4 70 6E 59 80 6A F5 78  63 32 BC FB 7A 08 53 4C

   __ _    Debian GNU         Johnie Ingram <johnie@netgod.net>      mm   mm
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __        "netgod"     irc.debian.org          mm mm
/ /__| | | | | |_| |>  <      Yes, I'm Linus, and I am your God.     mm   mm
\____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\       -- Linus, keynote address, Expo 98   GO BLUE