Re: EURO patch

On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 08:23:31PM +0100, Samuel Tardieu wrote:

> Tom> My point was meant to be that long-term it will eventually die,
> Tom> one way or the other.
>
> Isn't this nitpicking?

Yes :)

> Two issues here:
>
>   1) The symbol for the French Franc is "F", really "F", not something
>      that happens to look like "F".

Hmmmmmmm... that's Too Sensible. Why didn't they do that for the Euro
then?

>   2) I won't be happy if I have to answer "But my Microsoft
>      based system is able to do an Euro symbol, why can't I do the
>      same thing with Debian?"

But my Microsoft based system is able to do a pound symbol, why can't
I do the same thing with Debian?

> Tom> If the euro symbol is to be supported by us (as a DISTRIBUTION,
> Tom> not an application as eg console-utils and X are doing), we
> Tom> should also get Yen and Pound/Lira symbols working properly also.
>
> I don't get your point: we support some editors as a distribution, but
> not all of them. Don't run into "If we don't get them all we shouldn't
> get any at all". If we can add the Euro symbol, then let's do it, and
> if we can also add the Yen, why not?

Yes. My point was, its not JUST the euro that's a problem at the moment.

--
Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> <tom@debian.org>  http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/
PGP Key: finger tom@master.debian.org, http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/pgpkeys.asc.