Re: QT non-free but becoming compatible to debian? (was Re: Qt license change)

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> wrote:
> Well, see, the problem is that KDE isn't merely DFSG free, it's GPL.
> If the Qt license is DFSG free, that doesn't make it GPL compatible
> (think BSD with advertising clause.. That's DFSG free but not GPL
> compatible either..)

I disagree, section 6 of version 0.90 of the QPL includes the text:

     c. As an alternative to (a) or (b), you may offer these application
     programs, reusable components and other software items that link
     with the original or modified versions of the Software under the
     Artistic license or any GPL license.

If the QPL, as written, is not compatible with the GPL, as written,
then they shouldn't make this kind of statement.

However, it is just a draft, and we can encourage them to fix this
[either by becoming compatible or by changing the recommendation].

As it stands, section 6c introduces a conflict with section 3.

--
Raul