Re: run-parts for /etc/profile?

Marc Haber <Marc.Haber-lists@gmx.de> wrote:

> Debian relies heavily on run-parts which I consider a very useful
> tool to aid packages in installing extensions to standard config
> files like cron.daily. For me, the logical step would be having an
> /etc/profile containing something like run-parts /etc/profile.d and
> having packages install their environment changes etc. in special
> scripts in /etc/profile.d.

> Is there a special reason why this hasn't been done?

Because the Debian policy tells us:

3.8. Environment variables
--------------------------

     No program may depend on environment variables to get reasonable
     defaults. (That's because these environment variables would have to be
     set in a system-wide configuration file like /etc/profile, which is
     not supported by all shells.)

     If a program should depend on environment variables for its
     configuration, the program has to be changed to fall back to a
     reasonable default configuration if these environment variables are
     not present. If this cannot be done easily (e.g., if the source code
     of a non-free program is not available), the program should be
     replaced by a small `wrapper' shell script which sets the environment
     variables and calls the original program.

     Here is an example of a wrapper script for this purpose:
                    #!/bin/sh
                    BAR=/var/lib/fubar
                    export BAR
                    exec /usr/lib/foo/foo "$@"

     Furthermore, as `/etc/profile' is a configuration file of the `bash'
     package, no other package may put any environment variables or other
     commands into that file.

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--
  * Internet: roland@spinnaker.rhein.de * Fido: 2:2450/42 *
 PGP: 1024/DD08DD6D   2D E7 CC DE D5 8D 78 BE  3C A0 A4 F1 4B 09 CE AF