Re: libc resolver problem solved (critical bug)

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Oleg Krivosheev wrote:

>    Hello!
>
>    I just got an idea from a recent thread on debian-devel... libc 2.0.7u was
>    compiled with egcs, so that might have caused the problems in the resolver
>    (see critical bug #27334). And it proved to be correct. I just compiled
>    2.0.7u-5 with gcc on hamm, and it works nicely. The test environment:
>    a list server with 35k deliveries a day. I installed the official
>    2.0.7u-5, and got 50 "host not found" messages from sendmail in a minute.
>    After that I installed the version compiled with gcc... it works
>    flawlessly for 20 minutes now. So please recompile 2.0.7u with gcc
>    (current 2.0.7u-5: Compiled by GNU CC version egcs-2.90.27 980315
>    (egcs-1.0.2 release).)
>
> hmm...
> there are bugs (two, i think) in egcs-1.0.2. If you'd like, i can
> provide you with 2.0.7u-5 compiled by egcs-1.1. Just tell me where
> to put all this stuff

Actually this might be the easiest way of solving the problem... if it
works... especially considering __register_frame_info ... but from then on
we'll always have to compile libc with egcs, and the versioned dependency
(>= 2.0.7u) will have to stay. actually i'd suggest a >=
2.0.7u-(first_fixed_revision). Anyway, I'll compile it with egcs 1.1 now
and test it, thanks for the idea.

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org
                    HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/