Re: Are DFSG free package in non-us part of Debian?

<aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> (Alex Yukhimets) writes:

> As for DFSG-compiance -- can I redistribute it freely from my
> nyu.edu web page without getting into the legal trouble?

No, probably not, but that has nothing to do with DFSG compliance.

The DFSG is concerned with what the *software* allows you to do with
the software.  The DFSG is *not* concerned about what the (lame or
otherwise) laws of the country you happen to be in which may or may
not alter your right to redistribute the software.

GnuPG itself limits your redistribution as defined by the GPL (=> DFSG
compliant); the software has no bearing on the unfortunate existence
of the US crypto laws.  It's the US crypto laws restricting your right
to redistribute in a non-DFSG manner, not GnuPG.

Anything else is a slippery slope to madness.

--
James