Re: debian binary diff system ?!

On Sam, 14 Nov 1998 Tom Lees wrote:
>> I was wondering if anybody is working on something like making binary diff
>> updates possible with debian!? It always bugs me again, when I have to download
>> a whole package (and pay the German telephone fees...), although just something
>> in the documentation or so is changed. and i like to have an up-to-date system.
>Initial indications with a couple of scripts I hacked up are slightly
>disappointing (~20% savings as a diff from hamm to slink, tested for
>2 or 3 packages). However, the script
>doesn't do anything fancy yet (like compare individual files), so it may get
>better. My scripts are attached anyway.
well, 20% doesnt sound too bad. it makes already quite a difference if I have
to get 10MB or just 8 MB.... and you have to remember that you compare hamm to
slink. that is already quite a big change in those debs (i guess). but if you
compare the newest version of a package to the version before, the benefit
should be greater..... but i think even if it stays at around 20%, it would be
a win.

Kai

--
Kai Duebbert