Re: Multi-machine/Cluster Administration

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 08:51:40PM +1100, Chris Leishman wrote:

> Recently there have been alot of expressed interests in a way to maintain
> multiple debian linux machines, all with similar configuration.
>
> This just goes to show how popular debian is becoming - and how far our
> reputation as the most manageable system is taking us.
>
> However, what we don't seem to have is a clear-cut answer for any of these
> queries.  This is because a) we don't have a great way to do this ATM, and
> b) we haven't decided how to tackle this problem.

I just wanted to mention again that, at least for i386 architecture, there's
quite an easy way to accomplish that feat (which doesn't eliminate our need
for a centralized configuration management system to support all the
Debian architectures though...):

The University of Geneva has worked out a remote-boot setup which works
exceptionally well by unpacking Debian images to the local client harddisk.
It does take an additional piece of hardware though: A PXE BootPROM for
the network card which starts an interpreter called BPBatch.

Interested ? Check http://cuiwww.unige.ch/info/pc/remote-boot

Regards,

	Lars <lss@debian.org>