Re: Release-critical Bug Report for November 7

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 03:02:28PM +0100, Joost.Witteveen wrote:
> Subject: Release critical bug...
> > >Package: lyx
> > >Maintainer: Stuart Lamble <lamble@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au>
> > >  28222  LyX doesn't work on a fresh install
>
> I may be clueless, but since when are bugs against non-free/contrib
> packages considered Release critical?

"Release critical" simply means "these packages cannot be included in/with
the release in their current form"; it does not mean "we will not release
until this is fixed". The release manager can decide to exclude packages
that have "release critical" bugs reported against them from the release,
which is what I expect will happen in the case of "release critical" bugs
against contrib/non-free packages.

> Anyway, as far as I know non-free/contrib are not part of Debian, and can
> thus also not delay the release of Debian.

The release manager will decide when to release, and how to deal with bugs.
AFAICT, they can only delay the release in so far as that they have to be
removed prior to it.

Ray
--
Cyberspace, a final frontier. These are the voyages of my messages,
on a lightspeed mission to explore strange new systems and to boldly go