Re: Changes to the kernel-package (was: freezing powerpc)

Hi,
>>"Hartmut" == Hartmut Koptein <koptein@et-inf.fho-emden.de> writes:

 Hartmut> Ok so far. But now the problems:

 Hartmut> * make-kpkg --subarch=<arg1> <arg2> <argn>   doesn't work

	And it should not. How can you have multiple subarchitectures
 in the same compilation? Call make-kpkg several times, once for each
 sub arch.

 Hartmut> * make-kpkg --subarch=         (the NULL-argument)  doesn't work

	What exactly is it that you want it to do?

 Hartmut> * make-kpkg must put the correct .config file into the
 Hartmut>   kernel-source directory

	Yes. Does it not do that?

 Hartmut> Another problem is that linux-2.2 supports more archs but
 Hartmut> not all. For some archs we need extra patches. This must be
 Hartmut> done before building. But make-kpkg must know this. What
 Hartmut> about an extra argument --patch for the subarchs that need
 Hartmut> this extra patch ?

	There is an variable that controls this. It is called
 PATCH_THE_KERNEL.

 Hartmut> Manoj: what about to remove the kernel-package as an extra
 Hartmut> package and make it available into the
 Hartmut> kernel-source/debian/* directory? This is then the
 Hartmut> kernel-source*.diff.gz (this make some things easier).

	Nope. This way, there is one place where we put stuff that
 compiles new kernel packages. I am not willing to deal with
 gazillions of slightly outdated versions of kernel-package.

	I used to do it this way, but I think that the current method
 is better, and easier to upgrade.

	manoj
--
 "All these black people are screwing up my democracy." - Ian Smith