Re: Load on master.

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
>
> > > 14639 maor      12   0   324  324   276 R       0  1.7  0.5   0:00 md5sum
> > > 14598 maor       7   0  1040 1040   824 S       0  0.3  1.6   0:00 dpkg-scanpac
>
> Yes, it is the archive scripts that run daily that cause this. The scripts
> read every byte of every deb about 3 times which is somethin glike 5G of
> disk traffic..
>
> We are starting to reach the limit of the archive maintiance scripts they
> take on hour or two to run each day now and on mondays you can expect
> about -5- hours for mkcontents to run.

This would presumably be lessened if master had (or had access to) a
database of all current packages (which would be kept up-to-date by
dinstall).

Is this an interesting project?  Is anyone else interested?  This would
presumably tie-in with a future replacement of dpkg's local text files
with a more efficient format.  Ian, Klee, did you have anything in
particular in mind as the way forward there?

I'm thinking in terms of a pgsql based relational structure here...

Jules