Re: Several questions to sgml-tools

On Tue, Nov 03, 1998 at 05:41:25PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > I don't know what yodl is. CSS styles are intended for HTML, I think you
> > could apply them to other SGML like formats, too, at least syntactically.
> > Still you would need software to process it.
> Yust for my simple mind a question to be sure:  For SGML to anything
> I need:
> 1) DTD
> 2) DSSSL
> 3) Software to process 1) and 2) together to output "anything"
> If this is right (I'm not really sure) what are examples for 3) and
> what are the differences, i.e. what would you suggest.

This is correct. A DTD can be parsed with nsgmls, and nsgmls will check a
document ahgainst the DTD, too, so you can be sure that the document is
"valid", that means, it contains the right tags in the correct nesting.

To produce output, you need a DSSSL parser (a DSSSL engine maps the
SGML tags to output). "Jade" is the *only* free one available which works.
There are quite some tools for *special* DTDs, but they are not really DSSSL
engines, as they have just a set of DSSSL for a set of DTDs hardcoded
(example is the debian-doc sgml toolset).

There exist some other DSSSL tools, dsc is a syntax checker based on sp and
elk (DSSSL uses scheme). dsc is not packaged, as far as I know (maybe Ill
do it), however, nsgmls and jade are (and some other tools).

> > Mmmh. I seldom use search machines. If I do, I take proper keywords and get
> > no matches most of the time ;)
> Did you ever searched your own Name?  Nearly all questions you posted
> to a Newsgroup are listed and the question before and after yours.
> You could going mad ...

I get tons of Debian Archiv email. This becomes worse every day :)

> > > This seems to be very interesting for me and possibly for others.
> > > May be you think about bundling it in a Debian package.
> > It is not enough to make a package, I'm afraid.
> What is missing????

They are just some DSSSL tutorials (web pages). Missing is for example
a copyright. However, I dont think Debian should start packaging random
assortions of web pages. ;)

Marcus