Re: cc'ing (was Re: Mozilla goes GTK+ instead of Qt)

--On Tue, Nov 3, 1998 11:31 pm +1100 "Tyson Dowd" <trd@cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> On 03-Nov-1998, Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> wrote:
>> I have said and continue to say taht the easy way to do this is to tell
your
>> MUA to add the simple header Mail-Followup-To:...  Any MUA that doesn't
>> honor this header is broken.
>
> Could you explain this further?  I didn't exactly understand what this
> is supposed to do when you mentioned it in your other mail.

Yup.

should be sent to, as opposed to replies.  The terminology is that used in
many newreaders - a 'reply' is to the author, and a 'follow-up' is to the
list.

Of course, it is the case that few mailers support Mail-Followup-To (or is
there an 's'?  I'm afraid I forget).

It is certainly the case that it is a neater system where Reply-To and
Mail-Followup-To are orthogonal.  There really is a case for reply-to -
believe us, if you haven't experienced it!  If I send this email via my ISP
(a topologically obscure route), it will be From: jules@jellybean.co.uk,
since they don't mind.  OTOH, if I send it via my university, it will be
From: jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk - since mail-servers here require that.  Which
seems not unreasonable, to me.  But the same mail-servers would be happy
enough to accept a Reply-To, should I choose to direct my mail back to
jellybean.co.uk (or, indeed, jules@debian.org).

In fact, all these addresses are equivalent, and are directed to my
university account.  But that's my choice...

Anyway, the bottom line is that debian policy is for cc:es to be trimmed.
If this bothers you, discuss it on -policy, I suppose.

Doesn't seem all that important to me.  If your mailer supports custom
headers (as most do) and CC:es annoy you, I suggest you set the
mail-followup-to, which will cut down the volume somewhat.  (Hey, in a few
months, I will tell everyone that they should switch to balsa, which is
going to be cool, and is based on mutt.  But currently it's alpha...)

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |