Maintaining a lab full of Debian boxes

I've been approached by a few admins here at UC Santa Cruz who are
looking at not only making Debian Linux the official supported flavor
of Linux, but also maintaining a few labs full of Debian boxes.

However, I can't think of a good way currently to keep a lab full of
boxes in synch with Debian; it's a huge pain to run apt-get on every
machine by hand, and rsync would be way too slow to run on / on every
machine.

Has anyone solved this problem? What's the best way to keep a lab full
of Debian boxes in synch with each other; say an initial dpkg
--get-selections > selections; dpkg --set-selections < selections, but
then if a security update comes out, do I have to run apt-get on every
single machine?

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters D and W and the number 19.
"* denotes Hot and Spicy!" -- *Ben Gertzfield