Re: Excessive time for 'new-maintainer' processing

On 1 Nov 1998, Jim Pick wrote:

jim>When I signed up (in 1996), there were no identity checks whatsoever.
jim>My approval got screwed up even back then - I got added, but it took
jim>several months before I discovered that fact because nobody sent me a
jim>confirmation or password and I was left off debian-private.  So I know
jim>how you feel.  I guess some things never change.  :-)

	When I signed up in summer of 1997 I had to send a scanned
passport with my PGP key on the image. It was a little slow, a few weeks,
but everything was in order, got my password and uploaded.  There was no
"background" check.  I just stated that I wanted to upload a GPL'd thing
that I had written.
	The scale of the project is changing at an incredible rate.  The
chances of letting a lunatic in start to become significant as the number
of developers pushes 1000.

	I reiterate an offer to conduct phone interviews in the U.S.

John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>