Re: cc'ing (was Re: Mozilla goes GTK+ instead of Qt)

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998 19:23:16 -0500, Michael Stone wrote:

>Well, shoot, I regularly access mail from four or five accounts from
>half a dozen main and countless secondary locations. I don't use IMAP
>either: what I do is telnet (or whatever) into the various locations and
>read the mail there using mutt.

    Now, honestly, tell me you've never been annoyed by lag on a telnet
session that had your text coming out 5-10 seconds after you typed it?  Even
with SSH and compression I find my 33.6k telnet connection annoying.

>Works like a charm from just about
>anywhere, and doesn't require the installation of any client software.
>(This is why I love CLI's and hate GUI's: try this trick with
>Outlook...)

    Oh, sure, it works, but it doesn't work as well as the alternative.
Having a single client check those locations precludes you from:

Having lag across the telnets
Telnetting in and out of each account endlessly to check to see if any new
mail has been received

    Oh, and you forget, your method does require client software.  Telnet,
last I checked, was a server/client connection just like everything else.