RE: Apt UI design

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Shaleh wrote:

> question came to mind though.  You stated that when dealing w/ multiple
> sources that more than one version of a package may exist.  Apt will
> allow two options:  user most current, or use the preferred source.
> This sounds good.  However how will the handling of packages with
> dependencies go?  Internally does apt put the package on hold like one
> would have to do by hand in dselect?

I'm not sure I understand the question.. This feature would be intended to
change the Candidate Version of a package, basically the version dselect
shows in it's menu and the version apt-get install uses. Once changed the
normal rules will apply.

Wichert: Incidently, it should be possible to select at least
  1) Specific version
  2) Specific distribution (hamm, slinnk, unstable, stable, etc)
  3) Specific source
  4) Newest

With 2,3,4 being globally selectable options and 1,2,3,4 being a
per-package option. I'm not sure how to really manage this visually as it
creates a hidden setting so perhaps it should be done as you say?

Jason