Re: 1FA: problem still in hamm disks

On Sat, Oct 17, 1998 at 09:49:54AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:

> Quoting Tom Lees (tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk):
> > While I'm at it, *PLEASE* drop the dependency of lilo on mbr. I don't want
> > a new mbr eg if I want to install LILO to use on a floppy ONLY (I use
> > GRUB on my HD). Change it to Recommends. mbr being a high priority and/or
> > essential (can't remember if it is) should be enough.
>
> Can someone explain what the point of mbr is? Why not just install lilo
> directly to the mbr? (I always go back and do this for security reasons
> anyway: I've disabled floppy boot in the bios, why do I want an mbr
> that re-enables it?)

Wow!  Maybe I'm an idiot, but I just _now_ (after literally years of
wondering) realized where that silly 1FA: message was coming from.  I had
thought it was some kind of weird debugging feature of some BIOSes!

1FA looks like a hexadecimal number.  I know MBR has to be small, but can we
at least put in some commas, eg. "1,F,A:" ?

Furthermore, I think it should be made abundantly clear, somewhere obvious,
that you have to set the active partition when you install Debian.  I've
always been a pure-LILO user, and LILO ignores the active setting.  Not
understanding mbr, I've always gone through on my Debian systems and changed
lilo to use /dev/hda instead of /dev/hda1, because otherwise my system
wouldn't boot automatically to Linux.  I know it's my own sheer
incompetence, but I would have appreciated a warning message about this
somewhere.

Have fun,

Avery