Re: Bug Report?

On Tue, Oct 13, 1998 at 09:03:25PM +0200, Helmut Metzdorf wrote:
> Hi,
> [...]
> The situation:
>
> a self written programm (i'd like to run 24 hours a day) renders my
> computer unusable for any other task. my observation says that the
> cause is that my program relies heavy on file-io and my current
> Linux-version (debian 2.0 - kernel 2.0.34) is eager to comply by
> keeping the harddrive busy.

Some advice:
- play with hdparm to tune your hard disk settings (maybe consider using
  the -d1, -c1, -u1 options (be careful, read the docs!!) ) (maybe the
  older kernels used to automatically set up these options, but, for
  some reason the last ones don't).
- check that you have enabled the kernel support for your
  harddrive/chipset into the kernel (Triton, cmd640).
- if the problem persists (unlikely), please consider mailing to
  linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu, too.

Sorry for the delay, I saw your posting in debian-user, but forgot
to answer.

Ciao,
	Michele