Re: [larsbj@ifi.uio.no: Re: copyright problem]

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Michael Meskes wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 12:25:12PM +0200, Gergely Madarasz wrote:
> > How can we be sure that LyX does not include things not written by them?
>
> Wait a moment. Don't let this become ridiculous. How can we be sure that
> Ulrich Depper didn't include non-GPL stuff in his glibc? You can ask this
> ofr every single package. Hey, it's not our job to check that.

The problem here is that we can't distribute it under the terms of the GPL
(read the kde announcement) while they say it is plain GPL, so they say
they can include other people's GPL-ed stuff. glibc2 doesnt have a
contradictory licence like this.

> > And anyway we're not given permission to distribute it.
>
> Why?

Did you see it written down? :) GPL forbits it, unless explicitly
stated in the licence. And when we're given permission to distribute it in
written form (it should be part of the licence or something) then it will
be clear it is not exactly GPL, though it is open source.

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org
                    HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/