"super" pkgs (was Re: Back to RedHat)

FWIW, I locally maintain a "super" package which is basically empty
but contains only dependancies.  It's purpose is local: I want to make
sure that the SGML packages used by documenters are the correct
version.  I use versioned dependancies to ensure that the proper
versions are used.

This seems to work quite well.  Again, it's what I consider a *local*
only solution.  I maintain on internal servers a distribution point,
which can be added to /etc/apt/sources.list.  I even have a
dupload.conf entry for the upload point.

As for shipping a pkg-selecting depends-only ("super") package for
Debian itself, I think interested parties should fork off on their own
and go ahead and try it out for a bit.  Only then will we be in a
position to evaluate whether it's appropriate for inclusion in Debian
itself.