Re: Kernel compile fails on Cyrix...

Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> writes:
> On Fri, Sep 04, 1998 at 10:00:26PM -0700, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> > Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > > Sounds like you may have memory/system problems other than CPU. You're
> > > showing classic symptoms of memory that's having problems, in fact.
> >
> > The memory is okay, I got some memory test software from a guy at the
> > 'linux-kernel' mailinglist, and I think most of these guys know what they
> > are doing... :)
>
> Not necessarily - it may be voltage/overheating or seating problems with
> memory as opposed to actual faults with the chips themselves - try running
> those tests continuously for 12+ Hrs - then see what happens.

My Cyrix 6x86MX-PR200 failed during kernel compiles too. It turned out
the CPU fan was broken. Cyrix CPUs *really* need their fans and
heatsinks, ladies and gentlemen. Silicone thermal compound between the
heatsink and the CPU is also a Good Thing.

Ever since I replaced the CPU fan, it has worked fine. There's a web
page about this stuff:

http://www.tux.org/~balsa/linux/cyrix/index.html
--
I get my monkeys for nothing and my chimps for free.
http://www.clark.net/pub/hermit/