Re: Problems trying to build 2.88 meg image.

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Dale Scheetz writes:
> > > mkdosfs should do the job.  I'm not sure but I believe you can direct some
> > > parameters about the size to it.
> >
> > I have tried all the parameters provided in the man page, and still get:
> >
> > unable to get drive geometry for '/dev/loop1'
>
> Btw. why are you working with /dev/loop anyway?  How do you call mkdosfs?

Well I do something like:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/resc2880.bin bs=512 count=5760
losetup /dev/loop1 /mnt/resc2880.bin
mkdosfs /dev/loop1 5760

and recieve:

mkdosfs: unable to get drive geometry for '/dev/loop1'

> You should use something like
>
> 	dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/image bs=1k count=2880
> 	mkdosfs [options] /tmp/image

And instead recieve:

mkdosfs: no disk geometry for this file size defined

> > While mformat will allow me to specify the "geometry" as coming from a
> > file, I have no idea what the 2.88 meg drives geometry looks like, much
>
> Hmm, maybe /etc/mtools could give help?  I seem to remember that
> there are some geometries.

The info pages on mtools has a discussion of geometry, but only 1.44 and
below. There is no mention of the 2.88 format.

My interest is for a CD boot image, as the ET format will accept a 2.88
image. I only need to be able to build one.

On a side note: mkdosfs /dev/fd0u2880, gives errors about the device not
having enough sectors (it is actually a 1.44 drive) but seems like it
would have worked had the physical device been correct. This leads me to
suspect I just need the right values for the geometry of the physical
device in order to make mkdosfs happy.

Thanks,

Dwarf