Re: Problems trying to build 2.88 meg image.

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > I have been trying to build a 2.88 meg floppy image, using the loop device
> > to mount the requisite file. The problem is that when I try to format the
> > device mkdosfs tells me it can't because it is "unable to get drive
> > geometry for '/dev/loop1'".
> >
> > Looking at mtools wasn't much more help. mformat references xdfcopy as the
> > "low level format tool" but basicly all of these tools want to see a
> > "real" floppy device.
>
> > Is there any way to create an MSDOS file system on a loop device mounted
> > file image?
>
> mkdosfs should do the job.  I'm not sure but I believe you can direct some
> parameters about the size to it.

I have tried all the parameters provided in the man page, and still get:

unable to get drive geometry for '/dev/loop1'

All the formatters ask the device for the "drive geometry", and /dev/loop1
has no geometry.

While mformat will allow me to specify the "geometry" as coming from a
file, I have no idea what the 2.88 meg drives geometry looks like, much
less how to code it into the file. I assume that geometry means the number
of heads, cylinders, tracks and sectors on the device. (none of which have
anthing to do with loop devices)

Thanks,

Dwarf